mandag den 12. november 2018 kl. 01.03.18 UTC+1 skrev unman:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 09:54:08AM -0800, aaq via qubes-users wrote:
> > søndag den 11. november 2018 kl. 17.17.27 UTC+1 skrev a...@it-minds.dk:
> > > Hello everybody!
> > >
> > > I wanted to try out KDE with Qubes 4, but found that it was simply too
> > > much compared to my needs.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, removing KDE again isn't as simple as installing it. My
> > > biggest issues is that it hijacked some core components across the
> > > system, even though I am not using KDE (such as the notification frontend
> > > among other things).
> > >
> > > I found an old thread where Marmarek suggested using `dnf mark install`
> > > on the packages that dnf wrongly tries to remove, but dnf remains way too
> > > aggressive in what it wants to remove.
> > >
> > > Basically dnf wants to remove everything X related, not only the KDE
> > > stuff installed.
> > >
> > > If anybody knows any way of reverting and purging KDE completely, I would
> > > be eternally grateful!
> > >
> > > Otherwise I might just have to backup all my stuff and go for a reinstall
> > > :(
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > PS: Lesson has been learned.. don't mindlessly install unncessary things.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > So..
> >
> > I ended up deleting most of the packages (if not all) by hand.
> > Unfortunately, my system is in a limbo mode right now. The notification
> > front end still looks weird (in dom0), and my lightdm is presented with a
> > black background. Other than that, my system works fine.
> > Kind of annoying in this state, but works. My OCD is just getting the best
> > of me :)
> >
> > It would be nice with some comments in the documentation on the website
> > about KDE being hard to revert from, or at least some specific instructions
> > on how to revert. I would be more than happy to contribute with that, but I
> > am going to need some help with the steps needed.
> >
> > Hope someone will chime in!
>
> The simplest way to remove (most of) KDE is, I think:
> dnf remove kdelibs,plasma-workspace
>
> Removing those packages pulls out those that depend on them while
> leaving Xfce (and X) untouched.
>
> Though why you would want to remove Plasma? So easy to configure and
> customize, and really enhances Qubes experience.
>
> unman

Honestly I completely agree. If I was to use a DE I would definitely prefer KDE
or GNOME over XFCE (I sincerely hate XFCE, loose opinion held strongly).

I am however an avid user of i3, and since most of my stuff is opened and
configured through templatevm/standalonevm, I don't really have a particular
need for a heavy dom0 DE.

My machine only has 8 gb of RAM, and so far that is more enough for my usage,
but I fear if I bloat dom0 too much, that I might end up having some issues..

My biggest issue right now is, that after I installed KDE and logged in to
Plasma, it didn't correctly override all the XFCE/gtk stuff. So my machine was
in a state where it started up some things from kde and some stuff from xfce.
That was obviously completely unwanted behavior..

If you have some guidelines though, as to how I can switch off xfce stuff and
turn completely to the dark side, I mean KDE, then I would appreciate your time.

Thank you!

Regards!