Here's what I've done so far:

Created a new Windows 7 SP1 HVM by using an .iso as I've done many times
successfully in the past on Qubes 3.2. Everything works fine, HVM is created
and runs correctly, internet connection is intact and functioning as expected.

Downloaded Qubes Windows Tools 4.0 and installed them into the HVM as per
documentation. Installation of QWT 4.0 completely *breaks* HVM and places it
into a totally irrecoverable state, as detailed here near the top:

"at the following reboot, windows fails to boot and tries to repair files,
which as usual doesn't fix anything (the VM might boot at some point, without
the tools installed)"

Deleted the HVM, and started over from scratch by creating a new one. This
time, I installed Qubes Windows Tools version 3.2.2.3 instead of 4.0. That
worked perfectly fine, and the usual QWT-enhanced Windows HVM appeared with
full screen resolution, mouse pointer integration etc. Except, the internet
connection suddenly completely went offline and stopped functioning.

As per Issue 1 again from the same source, I tried the following instructions:

--------
Issue 1 - Networking isn't set up properly

The PV adapter's status is stuck at "Identifying"; pinging an ip works but
pinging a host fails, indicating a problem with DNS resolution. A tcpdump on
sys-firewall indeed shows that DNS requests are sent to the gateway's ip and
are rejected. The reason is that in R4 VMs are now using the exposed
"/qubes-{primary,secondary}-dns" values, while R3.2's Windows Tools still use
/qubes-gateway (whose IP in R4 is different from /qubes-primary-dns).

Workaround: disable the "Qubes Network Setup" service (with gui/msconfig, or sc
config "QubesNetworkSetup" start= disabled in a command prompt) and configure
the network manually.

Settings:

    DNS{1,2}: 10.139.1.1, 10.139.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    IP: in dom0, qvm-prefs vmname ip will output the VM's ip. Caveat: a
cloned/restored/... VM will likely have its IP changed so you'll have to
remember to update your network settings.

----

Implementing this attempted fix did *NOT* solve the problem, and the lack of
internet connectivity persists despite doing everything suggested. All other
VMs on the system have their internet connections working perfectly fine.

What are the next suggested steps to try? Should that fix have worked
regardless of using QWT 3.2.2.3 rather than 4.0, as long as the base system is
Qubes 4 instead of 3.2? If not, what options should I be using for my specific
situation? What do I do from here to get internet connectivity back?