On 11/26/18 1:46 PM, 'Fabio' via qubes-users wrote:
I made an accidental edit to /etc/fstab which is causing my TemplateVM to
timeout on boot with error Cannot connect to qrexec agent for 60 seconds....

Is there a way to edit a particular VM's etc/fstab without booting it up? Can I
perhaps mount it's root filesystem?

for R4:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/losetup|sort:date/qubes-users/rWRNIt0NOc4/VaFHp42rBgAJ

Alternatively the following command will configure a loopback device automatically:

qvm-start --hdisk dom0:/dev/qubes_dom0/vm-...-root vmname

R3.2 uses files by default instead of LVM volumes, I can't remember where they were located (/var/lib/qubes/ or something like that) but the procedure should be more or less the same.

Attempted solutions

1. I've tried adding init=/bin/bash to the kernel opts, starting the templateVM
and then running sudo xl console TEMPLATE_NAME from Dom0 but I did not reach a
command-prompt before fstab was read and executed.

2. I tried mounting the root filesystem for the TemplateVM from Dom0 with: sudo
mount /dev/qubes_dom0/vm-fedora-26-root mnt but got error wrong fs type, bad
option, bad superblock...

It's not recommended to access VMs' files in dom0. Once you set up a loopback device and the volume pops up in the device tray, attach it to a trusted VM and fix fstab there.