In the past. refresh application button works on Windows 7 HVM.
I don't know if this issue has only happened to me after some dom0 upgrade. So
I post here first.

I'm running fully up-to-date Qubes OS 4.0.
After I installed some applications on Windows 7 Template HVM and decided to
refresh the application list in the application tab. But after I clicked
Refresh application button. It stuck at "Refresh in progress...". When I close
setting window out and open it again. The application list did not update.

After some tracing. I found out when I type "qvm-sync-appmenus WIN7-HVM-NAME"
in dom0 terminal throwing the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/qvm-sync-appmenus", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('qubesdesktop==4.0.16', 'console_scripts',
'qvm-sync-appmenus')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesappmenus/receive.py", line 405,
in main
    process_appmenus_templates(appmenusext, vm, new_appmenus)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesappmenus/receive.py", line 312,
in process_appmenus_templates
    templates_dir)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/shutil.py", line 241, in copy
    copyfile(src, dst, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/shutil.py", line 120, in copyfile
    with open(src, 'rb') as fsrc:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/share/qubes-appmenus/qubes-start.desktop'

So basically I solve the problem by typing "sudo touch
/usr/share/qubes-appmenus/qubes-start.desktop" and re-run the command again
this time it didn't throw the error and when I press "Refresh Application" on
Windows 7 Template HVM and BANG! Application list updated.