Am Donnerstag, den 29.11.2018, 09:16 +0200 schrieb Ivan Mitev:
> The following might help to work around your issues:
>
> https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/customization/dpi-scaling.md

It is solving a few of the issues but you definitely need more (like
HiDPI themes in several sizes). Or moving new Xresources into templates
(or VMs) if they change in dom0. And dealing with xsettingsd.

Especially xsettingsd -- it would be an ideal point of attack if Qubes
had a dedicated UI (or UX in techno hipster speak) team. Just give it
another database backend for its settings that was maintained in dom0
and accessible to all running VMs and you could easily change settings
in everything running on your system.

> Granted, having a "scale everything by a factor X" option in dom0
> would be way better

It is necessary unless you like using a microscope for HVMs. In a few
months we will see the first 12" mobile computers running at mobile
phone resolutions...

> but it'd be nearly impossible to implement/support if the
> config has to be passed down to the VMs.

Not at all. The currently implemented mechanisms for the virtual X
servers are not working perfectly yet but that could be changed. It
just won't solve the problem of xsettingsd messing everything up
(including Xft settings which are coming from Xresources and
.xresources) if it does not have the correct parameters in its
database. So all we have to take care of was getting the databases in
all VMs right -- or implement a central one. If one was mad enough he
could use the qubesdb which is already accessible everywhere.

> I'm wondering if it couldn't be solved at a lower level
[...]
> That could also end up being very CPU intensive.

You should let the GPU handle that; applying transformations is a
standard feature today.

Achim