mike:

I would decrypt in dom0 and attach decrypted to qubes. You can script
this in dom0 as part of startup process - if you are content with dom0
encryption you can store the password, rather than enter it each time.

Cool -- I like the idea!

What approach would you recommend for these:
a) if the partition was to be decrypted during dom0 boot -- where to script it?
b) if the partition was to be decrypted right before a qube's start -- is there
a pre-domain-boot script kind of thing?
c) if the password was to be typed -- any idea how to pop up some password
input dialog box?

Many thanks unman!

Mike

I'm decrypting my drive with two partitions and connect them to the VMs on
startup like this in dom0:

Keyfile: /root/my-drive-decrypt/keyfile

Script: /root/my-drive-decrypt/my-drive-decrypt.sh

#! /bin/bash
case "$1" in
  start)
        cryptsetup --cipher=XXX --offset=XXX
--key-file=/root/my-drive-decrypt/keyfile --key-size=XXX open --type=plain
/dev/disk/by-id/XXX my-drive
        kpartx -a /dev/mapper/my-drive
        vgchange -ay my-drive
        qvm-block d my-drive1-vm $(qvm-block l my-drive1-vm | cut -f1 -d ' ')
        qvm-block d my-drive2-vm $(qvm-block l my-drive2-vm | cut -f1 -d ' ')
        qvm-block a --persistent -o frontend-dev=xvdi my-drive1-vm $(qvm-block
l | grep my-drive1 | cut -f1 -d ' ')
        qvm-block a --persistent -o frontend-dev=xvdi my-drive2-vm $(qvm-block
l | grep my-drive2 | cut -f1 -d ' ')
        ;;
  stop)
        qvm-block d my-drive1-vm $(qvm-block l my-drive1-vm | cut -f1 -d ' ')
        qvm-block d my-drive2-vm $(qvm-block l my-drive2-vm | cut -f1 -d ' ')
        vgchange -an my-drive
        sleep 1
        kpartx -d /dev/mapper/my-drive
        cryptsetup close my-drive
        ;;
  status)
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|status}"
        exit 2
esac

exit 0

Service: /etc/systemd/system/my-drive-decrypt.service

[Unit]
Description="Decrypt my-drive"
Requires=qubes_core.service
After=qubes_core.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/root/my-drive-decrypt/my-drive-decrypt.sh start
ExecStop=/root/my-drive-decrypt/my-drive-decrypt.sh stop

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Enable service:
systemctl enable my-drive-decrypt.service