seshu:
I'm trying to build an Ubuntu templateVM using Qubes Builder. I'm running
4.0.1rc2

When, I ran the 'setup' command I got the following error message:

[user@qubes-builder qubes-builder]$ sudo bash setup
setup: line 16: from: command not found
setup: line 34: syntax error near unexpected token `('
setup: line 34: `from subprocess import (Popen, STDOUT)'

And the interactive screen never came up. I followed the instructions in
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/   and at
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder/blob/master/README.md

I installed the packages as the instructions said. Then I ran the 'setup'
command.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You want to run most/all of those build commands, including setup, as a regular user. Not SU. Try:
./setup