For the record, I am now using 4.0.1 since it released (same problems).

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 12:49:52 AM UTC-5, awokd wrote:

> Try temporarily disabling your wifi card for the install.

Good idea!  I disabled it, along with just about every device I could find.  It
generated a different GUI error during the Post installation qubes
configuration screen, with everything disabled and disconnected:

['/usr/bin/qvm-start', 'sys-firewall'] failed:
stdout: ""
stderr: "PCI device dom0:00_14.3 does not exist"

Once logged in, I see that Fedora in dom0 isn't detecting the 4K resolution
like it has on my Thinkpad Yoga 3rd gen and Thinkpad Tablet 3rd gen devices -
everything is tiny text.

Running lspci shows me that 00_14.3 is described as the network controller (it
has an onboard network card, along with the wifi card).  Given, the PCIe device
IDs could change since I have been disabling/enabling various devices at this
point.  But the error would seem to point to the onboard network card, even
though it is Disabled in the bios.

Now, I've noticed that none of the VMs startup (sys-firewall, sys-net, sys-usb).

$ sudo systemctl status qubes-vm@sys-net.service

This shows the exact same error message as above.  Going into the bios and
re-enabling everything, generates the original error in the first message in
this thread.

00:1f.6 points to "Ethernet controller"
00:14.3 points to "Network controller"

Going back into the bios and disabling "Wireless" and "Ethernet" devices (under
Security), sys-usb is now able to start.  However, sys-net and sys-firewall
gives the exact same "00:14.3 does not exist" error on starting any VM.

However, now it does not show under lspci with everything disable.  Nor does
14.3 show up under any Qubes settings as attached to either sys-net or
sys-firewall.

I did another full install with everything disabled, and the same error of 14.3
does not exist keeps showing up, preventing sys-net and sys-firewall from
starting.