On Sunday, 13 January 2019 17:56:10 UTC-3:30, John Goold  wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 January 2019 15:50:13 UTC-3:30, 799  wrote:
> > Hello John,
> >

> > welcome to Qubes ;-)
> >

> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 18:49, John Goold <jrg.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This leads to my first issue:
> >
> > I seem unable to attach my scanner (it is a ScanSnap ix800 which is not a
> > printer/scanner/copier, just a scanner) to an appVM. It does not appear in
> > the Dom0 devices menu. If I plug in a USB drive, the drive shows up in the
> > menu.
> >
> > Is there a straightforward way to attach the scanner to an appVM (it will
> > not be a server, but will always be the same appVM, "personal")?
> >

> > I am not sure if I have understand you correctly, have you chosen to
> > install a sys-usb-qube?
> > If you didn't you can also do  this after the installation.
> > If you chose not to use sys-usb, you could try to pass through one of the
> > usb-controllers to the AppVM to which you connect the scanner to.
> > I have never used an Intel NUC before, but in case that you can run a Qube
> > like sys-usb I suggest doing so.
> > You can then run the following command from dom0:
> >

> > qvm-usb
> >

> > then attach the scanner to the AppVM
> > qvm-usb attach <SCANNERAPPVM> sys-usb:NR-NR
> >
> > 2. I like to listen to a classical music radio station (CBC Music) and,
> > when it is broadcasting other "stuff", streaming classical music from their
> > website.
> >
> > I can play YouTube videos, including hearing the audio, but the above does
> > not work (the website page gets stuck loading/waiting for an audio stream).
> >

> > Can you send me the link of the radio station you're trying to listen to?
> > I'll give it a try to listen to it in my multimedia AppVM which is based on
> > my howto here:
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/multimedia/
> >

> > - O
>
> Just discovered that there is only one USB controller (but 4 USB connector
> sockets). So when I tried to attach the USB controller to the appVM (had to
> set it to HVM), I lost the mouse and keyboard :-(
>
> I have got the impression from reading the documentation and posts to this
> forum that if I have disk encryption enabled, that I cannot create a sys-usb
> VM without losing the mouse+keyboard (and possibly not being able to enter
> the pass-phrase when powering up.
>
> The radio station is:   https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live/cbcmusic
>
> The streaming music is: https://www.cbcmusic.ca/music-streams
>
> Thank you for responding...

@799 I followed your multi-media templateVM how-to document. I installed VLC
(haven't tried it yet) and Google Chrome.

I do not know if it was the library that was added, but I can now listen to the
radio and streaming music.

I prefer Banshee to play my music which is all ripped from physical CDs I have
bought over the decades (the sites I mentioned are the only ones I stream).
However, I will check out VLC and see if it can handle my music library (it is
organized differently than the organizations normally supported by music
players, which is why I prefer Banshee -- I organized it using Banshee).

VLC definitely works (tried "opening a folder"). I will have to learn how to
navigate my library with it.

THANK YOU.