-------- Original Message --------
From: goldsm...@riseup.net
Sent: January 18, 2019 3:45:06 PM UTC
To: unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org>
Subject: Re: [qubes-users] Mirage-Firewall - Trusted in Dom0?

On 2019-01-18 13:52, unman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 04:38:56AM -0800, goldsm...@riseup.net wrote:
>> On 2019-01-15 15:19, Goldi wrote:
>> > I've been happily using Qubes for several years and noticed that
>> > several prominent members of the Qubes Team have in the past suggested
>> > installing Mirage-Firewall as an alternative to Sys-Firewall. However,
>> > I cannot find any reference to MF in the Qubes Docs.
>> > I'd like to install Mirage-Firewall, but I have a nagging doubt about
>> > whether the code can be trusted. Particularly as it has to been
>> > installed in Dom0
>> > What do you guys recommend? Can the MF developer be trusted?
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/21F0DB51-AF5A-4729-8708-14C54BB4C29A%40riseup.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> In Nov 2018 a prominent member of the Qubes team; Unman suggested using
>> Mirage-Firewall.
>> I'd appreciate very much a reply to my earlier query about the integrity
>> and reliability of the code/developer of Mirage Firewall
>>

> There is a reference in the docs to GSOC potential work: otherwise
> you'll find discussions here and in qubes-devel, and there's an open
> issue in qubes-issues.
> I have no view on the integrity of Thomas - don't know him. His
> contributions have been good and he's always seemed helpful and to know
> what he's talking about.
> You can look at the code yourself and come to view on that: it's
> pretty straightforward.
> https://github.com/talex5/qubes-mirage-firewall
>
> I've done some testing, and the firewall works as expected, with no
> strange effects I could see.
Thank you for responding.
I think I'll pass on installing Mirage-Firewall. I'm a user and
regretfully not competent to review MF code. I had hoped that any
recommendation to install anything in Dom0 would have been first
thoroughly assessed by the qubes team. After all, if Dom0 is compromised
its as Joanna used to say "game over"