On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 6:37:47 AM UTC-5, Mike Keehan wrote:

> Ah, what a shame.  It does seem as if your iommu is a problem.
>
> Without any other ideas, the only thing I can suggest is that you try
> the latest Qubes 3.2 just to allow you to try out Qubes.  It doesn't
> require the vt-d stuff, so might work on your box.
>
> The other thing you can do is try googling for iommu and your cpu
> together to see if others have had problems (not necessarily in
> Qubes, just in general use).
>
>       Mike.

Well, just to put this out there, it seems as if my CPU doesn't support SLAT
and maybe that's why (I thought from intel's page it did). Installing the
latest 3 stable and I don't get any errors about IOMMU like I did with 4, but
just like with 4 I do have to disable vt-d in bios in order to boot to the
installer.

Unfortunately as soon as I turn vt-d back on, the system goes thru post, I see
qubes start to boot and then after a minute (about when I think I'd see the
disk password prompt) I get a message from my monitor that the input timing is
wrong, which I've never seen on several other operating systems!
Wierldy, I was able to reproduce this behavior by turning off vt-d, booting up
fully and then was able to update without issues unlike in 4. Rebooted twice
without issues, then turned vt-d back on and got the exact same behavior.

So I guess I just try out using 3.2 without vt-d.

I'll take a look around the users' group, but I don't see any real details on
the qubes site for what the key differences are between 3 & 4 are, can anyone
point me to something that will tell me how worth it (secure) that it is to use
3.2 instead of replacing hardware to run 4?