‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:52 PM, Chris Laprise <tas...@posteo.net> wrote:

> On 01/23/2019 12:05 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>
> > Patching
> >
> > =========
> >
> > If you are a Qubes user, you should remove all APT-based (including
> > Debian and Whonix) TemplateVMs and StandaloneVMs, then install fresh
> > ones. You can do this by performing the following steps on each such
> > TemplateVM:
>
> A shortened update procedure for debian-9:
>
> 1.  If your "debian-9" template is customized or contains data, you may
>     wish to back it up with qvm-clone first...
>
>     [dom0]$ qvm-clone debian-9 d9-backup
>
> 2.  Run the upgrade command...
>
>     [dom0]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-debian-9 \
>     --enablerepo=qubes*testing --action=upgrade
>
>     This will display package info as it begins downloading. The package
>     version-date should begin with "4.0.1-20190123" or later.
>
> 3.  Shutdown all VMs so the upgrade can take effect...
>
>     [dom0]$ qvm-shutdown --all --wait --timeout=30
>
>     This method also works with whonix-gw-14 and whonix-ws-14 templates.

Also in case people don't know there is an easy procedure to store the list of
installed packages from the old debian 9 template and reinstall the same
packages in the fresh template:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/176134/installing-packages-by-importing-the-list-with-dpkg-set-selections/177187#177187

I reproduce the steps here for convenience:

debian-9-old$ dpkg --get-selections > /tmp/dpkg_selections.txt
debian-9-old$ qvm-copy-to-vm debian-9 /tmp/dpkg_selections.txt

debian-9$ avail=`mktemp`
debian-9$ apt-cache dumpavail > "$avail"
debian-9$ dpkg --merge-avail "$avail"
debian-9$ rm -f "$avail"
debian-9$ sudo dpkg --set-selections <
~/QubesIncoming/debian-9-old/dpkg-selections.txt
debian-9$ sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

That should do the trick. Of course check dpkg-selections.txt, it's a simple
text file.

Note that with this procedure the information of which packages have been
installed manually and which automatically as a dependency is not kept. If you
want to transfer this information use this procedure:

debian-9-old$ apt-mark showmanual > pkgs_manual.lst
debian-9-old$ apt-mark showauto > pkgs_auto.lst
debian-9-old$ qvm-copy-to-vm debian-9 pkgs_auto.lst pkgs_manual.lst

debian-9$ sudo apt-mark manual $(cat QubesIncoming/debian-9-old/pkgs_manual.lst)
debian-9$ sudo apt-mark auto $(cat QubesIncoming/debian-9-old/pkgs_auto.lst)

https://askubuntu.com/questions/101931/restoring-all-data-and-dependencies-from-dpkg-set-selections/108760#108760

Hope that's useful.

Fidel Ramos
PGP 7F07 1B7C 479F EDD1