On 01/27/2019 09:32 AM, Franz wrote:
Command `wmctrl -l` gives the following error

|Cannot get client list properties. (_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)|

This works for me with KDE.

But when I use |wmctrl| to display info about the window manager, Qubes is indeed found:
[user@personal ~]$ wmctrl -m
Name: Qubes
Class: N/A
PID: N/A
Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: N/A

What I am trying to do is to gracefully close firefox, but I get the same error:

[user@personal ~]$ wmctrl -c firefox
Cannot get client list properties.
(_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)

You could try using 'xdotool' instead:
xdotool search --name Firefox

See my 'halt-vm-by-window' script from 'Qubes-scripts' project for examples. You could go through the list of matching windows, find the VM name with 'xprop', then issue a command like "qvm-run $vmname 'pkill firefox'" which should send a normal TERM signal to Firefox. Its best to wait about 5 seconds before trying to shut down the VM so the browser state has time to be written to disk.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket