On 1/29/19 8:59 PM, Frank Beuth wrote:
Can someone explain the interaction between Anti Evil Maid/HEADS and the Intel Management Engine to me?

I read an article which stated that disabling Intel ME also prevents installing AEM (and related technologies), but I am not sure why (or if this is really true). Is ME needed to access the TPM?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... IIRC the ME processor is needed to operate the TXT feature which verifies code present at boot. TXT utilizes a TPM but is separate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Execution_Technology

Newer systems also have the TPM built into the CPU and I believe these integrated TPMs also rely on ME to function.

-

Qubes is essentially based on the premise that you have to trust the CPU manufacturer, but hopefully (someday) _only_ the CPU manufacturer. IOW, reducing the number of trusted parties as much as possible. However, many of us believe there needs to be progress beyond even this goal and that fully open source CPUs should be used as the main component in PCs; this would have the effect of bolstering trust and accountability.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket