Hi all,

I have been a very happy Qubes 4 user for some time now and have had no issues
until the other day. I stupidly allocated a VM too much space and totally
filled the volume group, which crippled Qubes. When I would login I couldn't
even open the VM manager, let alone the backup.

I have tried fixing the problem by myself using a Linux Mint live-USB (with
much googling), and have added a new pv to the vg, but for some reason was not
able to expand the vg, move the vg, or even use any command such as lvconvert
--repair, vgchange. It turns out that lvm thinks one of the pv is missing (my
luks partition), and this stops any attempt of repair, even when using
--partial, etc.

I then realised when looking in /etc/lvm/archive that the vg file is listing my
first pv as an unknown device with a missing flag. I am figuring this is a
result of me having to mount the partition using cryptopen to
/dev/mapper/qubes. I subsequently corrected the path and removed the missing
flag (using this guide -
https://mbroz.fedorapeople.org/talks/LinuxAlt2009_2/lvmrecovery.pdf). I then go
to restore the corrected .vg file (sudo vgcfgrestore -f
/etc/lvm/archive/thevgfile.vg my_vg.. and get told that it cannot restore the
vg with thin logical volumes as it is not supported yet and thus the restore
failed.

I have tried googling my way out of this once again, but I'm afraid I am stuck.
I know the pv's are all fine, and the drives are working well (apart from two
of the pv being totally full). I have even tried booting back into qubes but
all I get is a terminal screen in which I can't input anything on login, and
the qubes live-usb recovery shell is no help.

Am I out of luck with this, or is there a way of correcting the missing vg with
thin logical volumes?