On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 03:41:23PM +0000, lik...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> assume there are files stored in a qube without networking. Furthermore
> assume there's a secured backup server located in the internet. This server
> is only a storage of client-side (before data is sent over the wire)
> encrypted files.  What options do you imagine to backup those files (skip the
> client-side encryption) to the server?
>
> I can imagine the following options:
> 1. enable temporary the network with firewall restricted to the server for
> the (previously offline) qube
>      Advantage: no inter-vm copying of files.
>     Disadvantage: firewall rules must be setup correctly to avoid to bypass
> any other traffic like icmp/dns etc. I can imaging a potential information
> leakage due to enabling network access.
> 2. copy files temporary to another qube (dvm?) with a firewalled internet
> connection
>     Advantage: files not being backed up can stay secured in the non-network
> cube. Leakage of data is reduced in comparison to 1.
>     Disadvantage: can take time and needs additional disk ressources
>
> I've learned that you should always find at least 3 options, otherwise you
> haven't thought hard enough. Which options am I missing?
>
> Which option would you prefer and why?
>
> Best, Pete

3. Create encrypted (compressed) backup in offline qube.
qvm-copy backup to online disposableVM.
Copy encrypted file to backup server.

Advantage: All files secured in non-network qube.
Disadvantage: ???

Is inter-vm copying of files really an issue? Free space such an issue?
Using compressed backups should help mitigate this as a serious issue,
but that problem would extend to *all* your Qubes use.

unman