On 2/19/19 6:22 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 2/19/19 10:41 AM, liked2-mmb7mzph...@public.gmane.org wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> assume there are files stored in a qube without networking. Furthermore
>> assume there's a secured backup server located in the internet. This server
>> is only a storage of client-side (before data is sent over the wire)
>> encrypted files.  What options do you imagine to backup those files (skip
>> the client-side encryption) to the server?
>>
>> I can imagine the following options:
>> 1. enable temporary the network with firewall restricted to the server for
>> the (previously offline) qube
>>       Advantage: no inter-vm copying of files.
>>      Disadvantage: firewall rules must be setup correctly to avoid to bypass
>> any other traffic like icmp/dns etc. I can imaging a potential information
>> leakage due to enabling network access.
>> 2. copy files temporary to another qube (dvm?) with a firewalled internet
>> connection
>>      Advantage: files not being backed up can stay secured in the
>> non-network cube. Leakage of data is reduced in comparison to 1.
>>      Disadvantage: can take time and needs additional disk ressources
>>
>> I've learned that you should always find at least 3 options, otherwise you
>> haven't thought hard enough. Which options am I missing?
>>
>> Which option would you prefer and why?
>
> Another disadvantage of #1 is that connecting the net to the source qube
> exposes it to attack.
>
> Had you thought about using qvm-backup? Also, I'm working on a fast
> incremental backup tool that's suitable for Qubes:
>
> https://github.com/tasket/sparsebak

I've checked qvm-backup. It's an appropriate solution if you don't care about
disk space and bandwitdth of the network connection. Saving of a subset of
files due to remote space and bandwidth resouces will not work well with
qvm-backup.

Also incremental backup is not really possible with qvm-backup.

Regarding the solution you're working on: If I get it right, it's meant to be a
disk->disk backup? What I'm looking for is an incremental client-side encrypted
backup, similar to the tool duplicati. Also a poor man solution with
git+rsync+veracrypt would be possible.
Can you imagine how sparsebak could be combined with truecrypt? Is there
compression support?