On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 7:49:27 PM UTC-5, dexint...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been spending hours and hours looking at laptop configs from dell to
> lenovo and I still have yet to make a decision. I'm hoping you guys can help
> me.
>
> Uses:
>
> - Programming
> - Web Dev
> - Tor
> - Screen real estate
> - Regular web surfing and videos
> - Some video and photo editing but I have a PC for that
>
> I'd like to keep cost as low as possible but my budget is very flexible if I
> need to stretch it. I want something that will last me 3-5 years.

The most important thing, in terms of Qubes,  is the hardware specifications
and if it supports all the proper qubes security features.

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/07/21/new-hw-certification-for-q4/

"Of course, to be compatible with Qubes OS, the BIOS must properly expose all
the VT-x, VT-d, and SLAT functionality that the underlying hardware offers (and
which we require). Among other things, this implies proper DMAR ACPI table
construction."

The way to figure this out is to go to the store and boot one up with a qubes
live flash stick.    Or to get a hold of the manual and see if it mentions vt-d
anywhere in it as an option.

Regarding the specific questions you are asking, that is a general hardware
questions.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/system-requirements/

"Fast SSD (strongly recommended)
Intel IGP (strongly preferred)
Nvidia GPUs may require significant troubleshooting.
AMD GPUs have not been formally tested, but Radeons (RX580 and earlier)
generally work well
See the Hardware Compatibility List
TPM with proper BIOS support (required for Anti Evil Maid)
A non-USB keyboard or multiple USB controllers
Also consider the hardware certification requirements for Qubes 4.x."

I would also recommend at least 16gb of ram.  more if you can afford it.