Actually, I may have to sheepishly admit that Legacy was enabled at the same
time as UEFI, meaning that it automatically booted into Legacy instead. All
previously reported symptoms seem to stem from this.

Bottom line, UEFI isn't working for me period it seems. I end up with a black
screen, regardless of whether I select partition one or two on my flash drive
(not sure why it displays like that. Perhaps that is indicative of something?).

I'm back to square zero. Any varied options are appreciated.