On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 12:16:34AM -0800, acharya.sagar.sag...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wanted to understand the tree structure of qubes.
>
> So my guess is this.
>
> dom0 is the owner of every other thing. There are 4 template VMs, fedora,
> debian, 2 whonix ones.
>
> When a domain restarts, it takes it settings from the template on which it is
> based and it's own home directory and other couple ones which are just in it,
> I guess stored in ROM.
>
> I created another fedoraDev template for my development purposes on which my
> work qube is based. work has no net access. When I installed pandas in my
> fedoraDev template, it didn't reflect in work after restarts. When I changed
> work netVM to sys-firewall and run "pip install pandas", there's no internet!
>
> Also, I want to install nvidia drivers from rpmfusion for which I need to add
> repos. I don't know where is dnf is. It's in dom0 but it is not connected to
> internet. I need to make them in fedora. In my personal domain connected to
> internet, there's no dnf.
>
> I need to know the structure of qubes better to understand dnf and my python
> pandas installation. I'm certainly missing something.

Your summary of the Qubes structure is pretty good.

Where has panda been installed in the template? The only case where it
wouldnt appear in the work qube would be where it was installed in
/home/user in the template.
Check the path to library in the template and confirm it is there in the qube.
You
may need to adjust your path in the qube.

In dom0 you need to use qubes-dom0-update - I suggest you read this:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0

In dom0 and in templates, there is no direct internet connection, and
updates (whether rpm or deb) run by proxy in an updateVM.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/ in the section on
"Updates proxy" may help.

unman