“The install appeared successful. I was able to add
Chromium to an appVM. When I started the appVM and launched Chromium
from the menu... nothing! No window, no error message. I tried a number
of times (the reason for just re-trying will be mentioned below). ”

This stood out for me and was not addressed by others, so I’ll ask the obvious
question. Did you install the software in the appVM as you stated or did you
install in the template VM the appVM was based on?  For most installed
software, it needs to be installed in the Template VM for it to be there after
the appVM is bounced. Installing in the appVM causes the install to be lost on
the next reboot of that appVM since it gets its installed software from the
Template. I usually clone the distro templates and install my stuff there and
then create appVMs with my copies. That way I can be sure that the distro
templates remain upgradable via QM.