On 3/19/19 4:59 PM, Steven Walker wrote:
I am still pretty new to Qubes. I have managed to create a new qube, but I want
to install some software for use with this qube. I have read that it has to be
installed to the template and not the actual qube. As the template has no
actual network connection, how do I go about this?

Using 4.0.1, Fedora 29

Any help greatly appeciated.

Steve

pretty sure, there are different ways to skin the cat, though

the Templates are designed to obtain access indirectly, that is what the "salt" stuff is they talk about ....it seems by default to be setup to use sys-whonix-14 to install updates , somewhat magically

you can actually change the netvm without shutting down the templates

generally it's bad form to give the templates direct access, though may you might want to once in while in order to troubleshoot something , etc .....testing it the morning , you should be able to install non updates without Direct access

for me Templates aren't worth backing up , I'm not worried about my system melting down much ..... and anyway its going to be best to fresh install , which is easy-ist in Qubes, which is one of the beauties of the technology ....

hence, I clone for other reasons

one word of advice is keep a paper list of custom packages you install so when it goes to Fedora-30 you install fresh and then add back fresh packages , your files will persist,

my problem  what few files I have end up spread out over  10 App Qubes