On 3/20/19 10:23 AM, unman wrote:
On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 08:16:13AM -0400, Stumpy wrote:
I seem to remember someone continuing work on the qubes manager, beyond bug
fixes, but I cant find the post. I looked on github but it wasnt clear to me
how much work was continuing with the qmanager.
I find it really useful and assume others do as well as when 4.0 came i
think quite a few people requested that it be put back.

Anyway. I just wanted to find out if there is any ongoing work, especially
regarding interface tweaks. I have what I admit is probably too many VMs but
at the same time I use all of them and prefer not to change my work flow.
One of the caveats is that there isnt much way to organize VMs in the
interface apart from sorting. I'd love to have something like a
customizable/collapsible tree of VMs among other things.

Unfortuately my programming skills never got past "hello world" but i'd be
happy to test out any work that someone might be doing.

I don't think there was any serious work put in here. The intention was to
drop QM from 4.0, and replace it with current widgets.
There was some pressure to reinstate it and that was done. Other than
the collapsible tree display, what else would you like to see?

I don't use QM, and (without wanting to go over old ground) think it was
a mistake bringing it back.

Well i can see how some might want to kill it, but I really found it useful for "visualizing" the status of various vms all in one place as i run quite a few (in one place i can see what appvms are not using their respective updated templates, which templates have updates available, can see how much disk is being used, state, mem etc. Really its just the quick n easy being able to see, and occasionally interact with, interface.

I am reasonably comfortable with a terminal but in my work flow the qm has its place, and for newbies that want "alittle bit more" its good (yes, best for the newbiest to just use the widgets but i still think there is value when they (I) want to see alittle bit mroe w/o devling into the terminal).

Anyway, at the moment I'd just like a few teaks like the collapsible trees and a few more views to be available like say remaining space per appvm, % of drive space being used, % mem being used etc - perhaps some xentop-like features. I have to use a win machine at work, and while I am not a fan i do like tools like things like the systools process explorer and think qm could potentially show some things like that as well.
IMHO :)