I installed a new SSD in my laptop, so I created a backup of my old one and
tried to restore it into a fresh install of Qubes R4.0.1 (the old system was
Qubes R4.0).

I'm receiving errors when I try to restore from the backup - 'Error restoring
VM: empty response from qubesd - check journalctl for details'. I first tried
restoring all VM's in the backup, before trying just 'sys-net' and 'fedora-29'

I have run the restore in 'verify only' mode and it passes.

I checked journalctl, and I can see some python tracebacks:

The first error is regarding sys-net:
"AttributeError: 'TemplateVM' object has no attribute '_qubesprop_kernel'"
followed by:
'TemplateVM' object has no attribute: '_qubesprop_kernel'
followed by:
'Qubes' object has no attribute 'qubesprop_default_kernel'
followed by:
property 'default_kernel' have no default

I checked out the global system settings, which at indicates my new systems
default kernel is '4.14.74-1'.

There was another error also, while processing fedora-29:
"'Template VM' object has no attribute '_qubesprop_kernel'"
followed by:
"'Template VM' object has no attribute 'template'"
followed by
"'Qubes' object has no attribute: 'qubesprop_default_kernel'"

I'm not sure where to begin with fixing this, but I'm really glad I still have
the original drive :)

One thing to note is in the reboot-and-setup phase I and clicked "Don't
configure anything". Could my new system be missing configuration settings, or
are the python errors related to the contents of the backup? I checked this
because first time, I accepted the defaults and found it hard to remove the
colliding VM's.

I think I'll try installing again and letting qubes do some of that
configuration and see how that goes.

I notice the other similar sounding report seems to be due to the passphrase,
and perhaps is not related to my issue.