Chris mentioned:

"The current Firefox ESR does have a tendency to freeze temporarily when
memory gets low. I'm considering switching to the non-ESR 'firefox'
package in Debian to see if the newer versions are better in this respect."

My computer (Intel NUC7i7) has 32 GB RAM, so I doubt I am having low memory
issues -- but I suppose with my tendency to open a lot of tabs, it could happen.

I finally got around to trashing the ESR version of Firefox and installing the
latest "regular" release. It is too early to tell (less than a day), but I have
not run into a problem yet (I had been running into the problem at least once
or twice a day).