Like you suggested in my other post, I removed my PCI-e adapter for the m.2
ssd, and what is weird is that those COMRESET errors just doubled. Instead of
it being just ATA10, it is also giving duplicate errors for ATA9 as well. But
it does not seem to affect functionality just yet.

On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 9:50:44 AM UTC-7, awokd wrote:

> Windows 7 should work, although I've heard some claim success with 10.
> Are you following the steps at
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-vm/#qubes-40---windows-vm-installation
> exactly? If so, where does it break? Do not attempt to pass anything
> through until you've completed all the steps.

I got a Windows 7 HVM to work all the way to the desktop, but I did not install
QWT on it just yet. What held me back was that I really wanted to be able to
install Windows 7 on a separate, faster hard drive. So on my 2nd Win7 HVM, I
passed through the SATA controller on my mobo that has 2 SATA ports to it, and
connected an SSD to that SATA controller. After a while of fumbling with
connecting USB sticks (blocks) which contain drivers for the SATA controller to
my Windows 7 hvm before installation, I just edited the Windows 7 iso and put
the drivers in that, and then tried to install Windows 7 again. Unfortunately,
when I loaded the drivers in the Windows 7 installation, it crashed the
installation. I don't know if that is because of the SeaBIOs that I keep seeing
or something else.
Is there any resource I should look at for installing a Windows 7 HVM on a
separate hard drive for speed? I am getting much more comfortable with the
console commands recently!

> The device widget is still a bit buggy. Try using qvm-usb or qvm-block
> instead.
This was helpful!

> You might want to consider separate machines. Your intentions are
> honourable, but I have yet to hear of anyone on the list successfully
> passing through their GPU to a Windows VM in Qubes 4.0. One machine with
> a healthy amount of RAM and onboard video for Qubes and your data, the
> other for gaming. Dual-boot could also be an option, but that is a pain
> to set up and maintain since Windows 10 will break the bootloader every
> major update.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind.
~MAD