On 4/1/19 6:36 PM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
Ryan Tate wrote on 4/1/19 7:54 PM:

On Apr 1, 2019, at 2:33 PM, Ryan Tate <ryant...@ryantate.com> wrote:

Now I see there is a folder in my dom0 home dir called ‘home-restore-2019-04-01-etcetc’.

But what do I do with this? I just have to manually figure out what files are important? :-\

I just sort of methodically copied over anything that seemed important and rebooted which seems to get me most of the way there.

I would like to say, I really think the wrong decision was made here:

The rationale for not actually restoring dom0 when dom0 is requested to be restored seems to be: 1.User may be restoring to a different machine from the original, which could obviate e.g. monitor settings. User can’t simply avoid restoring dom0 in this situation "because it contains some files and scripts that I need” (quote from issue 2271).
OR
2. user may only restore some VMs and then the dom0 restore will create false menus (issue 1106)

I would argue, if you ask to restore dom0, then dom0 should be restored (truly, not by copying over a directory, which is not a “restore”). Any glitches due to, for example, restoring dom0 to a different machine, are the responsibility of the user. User may also need to handle restoring dom0 with only partial vm restore, for example by purging appmenus (although ideally the restore process or architecture of Qubes would make partial restores happen more smoothly).

If the wish is not “restore” but rather to copy some files — “some files and scripts that I need” — then it is up to the user to transfer these files by the usual mechanism.

IMO Qubes has allowed the definition of “restore” to become a bit corrupted. To restore is not just to copy a directory and let the user fend for themselves. When I “restore”, the original state should largely come back. e.g. app menus in vms, xfce panel particulars, desktop particulars, etc. If I want something different, for example only to copy some settings over, it should be up to me as a user to make that happen. If the restore is imperfect, that is OK — it would be better to have an imperfect restore (with, for example, some phantom menus) than to have no restore at all, from the standpoint of user expectations, judging purely from myself.

These seem like reasonable points though for visibility & tracking, it might be better to paste them directly into one of those issues.

The current method prevents an unsafe restore in the event that the system was reinstalled due to a compromise (or suspicion thereof). This change was made shortly after Qubes project started promoting the idea of "paranoid mode" restore, with which it fits very well.

In any case, the object for qvm-backup* isn't to save/restore everything about dom0 since it only stores /home. And moving these files out of the restore folder is relatively easy, if the user chooses.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket