You need to enable the qubes-update-proxy service - this creates the
necessary file at  /var/run/qubes-service/qubes-updates-proxy

There's another issue in that the service file refers to
/usr/sbin/tinyproxy but the exec is in /usr/bin
Fix this by editing /lib/systemd/system/qubes-updates-proxy.service to
refer to the correct path.

Dear qubes-users, dear Unman, I tried to follow these instructions, but
I am stuck. There is an odd spelling issue, sometimes I read  *updates*
(plural), sometimes *update* (singular). I presume the service name is
meant to be in plural:  qubes-updates-proxy ?

I have actually tried both, singular and plural, but it won't work I
rebooted each time): the plural version generates the file
/var/run/qubes-service/qubes-updates-proxy but it has zero size. Is this
normal? And this file  /lib/systemd/system/qubes-updates-proxy.service
you mention does simply not exist.    Any hints?