On 4/18/19 12:52 AM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
I dont see this on any machine, including long running desktops.
Is it possible that you are suffering from over-heating? That would
account for symptoms.

I'm now monitoring temperatures with the "sensors" command in a dom0
terminal and although the problem hasn't yet happened again, the
temperatures I'm seeing are often getting close to or even reaching
"Critical":

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +100.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +99.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +100.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +99.0°C  (crit = +200.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:        4788 RPM

If over-heating is the cause, does that suggest a hardware problem, or
is there something I can do to configure Qubes differently to stop it
from getting so hot?

That's not good. Usually CPUs shut down and cause a reboot as you observed at 100-110 Celsius (CPUs may die at higher temperatures and thus perform an emergency shutdown).

Looks like you have a hardware issue with your CPU fan. Either cleaning the CPU fan and replacing the thermal paste or replacing the entire CPU fan is likely to solve your issue. Youtube videos are your best friend there.

I had similar syptoms in the past, replaced the fan and thermal paste (apparently the seller had applied way too much) and went down to 70-80 Celsius at maximum load.