On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 03:28:15PM -0700, tom...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   I installed Q4.0.1 on USB HDD to see changes from 3.2.
> As I've decided to use fedora-29 for system-related VMs, I wanted to remove
> large apps like Firefox and Thunderbird from it.
> But running 'dnf remove thunderbird' on f29 template resulted in removal of
> 67 other packages, which seems important.
>
> Any idea what's wrong?
> I used latest Qubes ISO and updated dom0 and fedora-29 template before this
> removal.
>
> Note: I've stripped all but 1st column of output for readability
> {code}
> Removing:
>  thunderbird
> Removing dependent packages:
>  qubes-vm-recommended
> Removing unused dependencies:
>  ethtool
>  fakeroot
>  fakeroot-libs
>  js-jquery
>  libnftnl
>  libtomcrypt
>  libtommath
>  mozilla-filesystem
>  nautilus-python
>  net-tools
>  nftables
>  openpgm
>  pciutils
>  pciutils-libs
>  pulseaudio-qubes
>  python-systemd-doc
>  python2-babel
>  python2-backports
>  python2-backports-ssl_match_hostname
>  python2-backports_abc
>  python2-cairo
>  python2-chardet
>  python2-crypto
>  python2-futures
>  python2-idna
>  python2-ipaddress
>  python2-jinja2
>  python2-markupsafe
>  python2-msgpack
>  python2-nose
>  python2-numpy
>  python2-olefile
>  python2-pillow
>  python2-psutil
>  python2-pycurl
>  python2-pysocks
>  python2-pytz
>  python2-pyyaml
>  python2-qubesimgconverter
>  python2-requests
>  python2-singledispatch
>  python2-six
>  python2-systemd
>  python2-tornado
>  python2-urllib3
>  python2-xpyb
>  python2-zmq
>  qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates
>  qubes-core-agent-nautilus
>  qubes-core-agent-network-manager
>  qubes-core-agent-networking
>  qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root
>  qubes-gpg-split
>  qubes-img-converter
>  qubes-input-proxy-sender
>  qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector
>  qubes-pdf-converter
>  qubes-usb-proxy
>  salt
> [...]

Nothing wrong.
There's a meta package called qubes-vm-recommended which  pulls in all sort of
qubes features, and useful software.
When you set to remove thunderbird, it removes qubes-thunderbird, which
then removes qubes-vm-recommended, and that removes all dependencies of
*that* package : what you are seeing is the consequence of that.

I'm not that familiar with Fedora, but you need to set the qubes
packages individually to retain them: you can do this with 'dnf mark
install'.
Or, you can set clean_requirements_on_remove to false in
/etc/dnf/dnf.conf. That will break the dependeny requirements.

An alternative approach would be to start with the minimal template and
install the packages you want individually rather than using the meta
package.

unman