**Qubes OS version**
R4.0

**Affected component(s) or functionality**
USB devices not recognized

**Brief summary**
dom0 recognizes USB ports but nothing attached. I can plug in USB devices and
lspci only shows the controllers, lsusb only shows the hubs in sys-usb and
nothing in dom0. Nothing changes when I plug/unplug a USB device. Qubes devices
widget only ever shows dom0:mic. There was one instance one time that I somehow
got a USB hard drive to get recognized and copy data off but restarting
computer lost the connection. Changing ports makes no difference.

**To Reproduce**
1. Open dom0 terminal
2. Plug in a USB device
3. "$ lsusb" gives null response

**Expected behavior**
I expect the Qubes devices widget to show my USB devices accurately, dom0 to
recognize physically connected USB devices, lsusb's output to change depending
on what devices are physically connected (in dom0 and sys-usb).

**Actual behavior**
Nothing happens. System acts as if no USB devices are ever inserted.

I've tried following the guides:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-devices/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/block-devices/

Thanks for your input.