If that's internal disk, you should be able to configure UEFI to use
/boot/efi/EFI/qubes. In fact, installer should do that for you... You
can do that either in UEFI setup (some vendors have include it
somewhere near boot order setting), or using efibootmgr from within the
system. You want to configure it to boot xen.efi.
As for efibootmgr, see the last step here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#installation-finished-but-qubes-boot-option-is-missing-and-xencfg-is-empty

Thank you, Marek. I used efibootmgr, that seems alright now. One last
thing worries me: while the initramfs for versions up to and including
4.19.42 where about 23M, the 4.19.43 file is only 8.4M ! Is this maybe a
short write (disk full overlooked/ignored in update script??).
That would explain a kernel panic even better  :))   Can I checksum
4.19.43 manually? Or should I reinstall it? Bernhard