On 6/4/19 12:26 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

On 03/06/2019 11.01 PM, Philip Torrance wrote:
I notice that several models on the HCL are no longer sold by the
maker; it might be more encouraging to new users if the first
column of the HCL spreadsheet https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/ was
telling us about availability (green: currently sold; yellow: no
longer made but available; red: hard to find ).

Any suggestions about how we could keep this up-to-date? I imagine
that the first column would be almost uniformly green ("currently
sold") based on when the HCL report was first submitted, and I doubt
that anyone else would submit a PR to update the availability
of anyone else's report. Perhaps a handful of people would update
their own reports. (Likely the same handful who have updated their own
reports so far.)

Its much more challenging to update the compatibility/problems status of machines as time and users' experiences evolve. And I'd say that info is more important.

I believe most viewers of the HCL can already glean a model's currency by looking at the CPU generation. But if its desirable to make it easier to discern, I think adding a simple Manufacture Date column would be just as clear and far easier to administer.

The column could allow entering a date as either YYYY-MM or just YYYY. The latter allows a list maintainer to estimate a model year if the submitter hasn't supplied a date. The ordering (year first) allows sorting without having to parse the input as an actual date.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket