atrainonl...@gmail.com wrote on 6/7/19 11:01 PM:
I'm really really stuck and I can't go forward no matter what I do.  My goal is
to create qubes to replace my current Linux OS as my every day OS, including
watching DVD's, Netflix, etc.  However, I've run into a huge amount of problems.

Right now I'm typing to you via the disposable VM.  The personal one works fine
too.  I installed a VPN on my sys-net just fine.  Tor refuses to connect, just
gets stuck at 85%, so I installed my VPN, now gets stuck at 10% with bridges.

Make sure your clock is set accurately. If Tor alone normally works on other devices at your location, try turning off the VPN and bridge temporarily, then let it sit at 85% for an hour to see if it eventually goes through. Tor over VPN without a bridge might also work. Also check /var/log/tor/log in sys-whonix, but seems like you might be already.

When I tried to follow the guide book for how to install a multimedia VM, Qubes was telling me
it was unable to find xclip, either under Fedora or debian.  In fact, the guide really needs to
explain that "qvm-run" command needs to be ran inside dom0.  I spent an hour and a
half trying to get that command to work inside a new VM that I created realizing what it did
afterwards.  >.<  Anyway, moving on...

Realizing I should probably update my VM's, I tried updating my VM's and I keep
getting the same types of errors.  When I try to do any kind of 'sudo
qubes-dom0-update' commands, I get a 'Cannot retrieve repository metadata
(repomd.mxl) for repository:fedora.ts path and try again', no matter how hard I
try to make it work.

Same types of errors when trying to update the debian-9 and fedora-29
templateVM's.  I need help please.  I thought my internet was being blocked so
I slapped on my VPN but I still get the same problem.  It's a fresh install of
Qubes.

When you installed Whonix as part of Qubes, you probably checked the box to update over Tor. If Tor's unavailable, you won't be able to update dom0 or templates. I don't think updates will help with the issues you mentioned, but it is possible to change them back to not using Tor. In dom0, you'd set "qubes-prefs updatevm sys-net" and edit /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy by commenting out the TemplateVM line with sys-whonix, which allows it to default to the one below with sys-net.