On 6/15/19 12:50 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 6/14/19 6:00 PM, Jon deps wrote:
On 6/5/19 8:00 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 6/2/19 3:41 AM, Finn wrote:
I've installed Qubes-OS 4.0.1 and it's XFCE desktop environment but I
would rather prefer either KDE or GNOME desktop environment. I found
this document[1] where mentioned that Qubes-OS is migrating towards
GNOME but at the time of installation only XFCE (neither KDE nor GNOME)
is available. I was wondering, is there a way I can use my preferred
desktop environment? Or, I have to wait for GNOME until migration is not
fully completed because it seems currently there is no support for KDE.

[1]: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usability-ux/

KDE does have support AFAIK, although its no long the default. If you can get used to the blank-space network icon, then I recommend KDE as there are many pluses.

I don't believe Qubes is actually going to migrate to Gnome. There was an aborted attempt and Gnome 3's paradigm (tablet touch UI, melded WM/app widgets) doesn't seem compatible with Qubes' concept.

seems to want about 4 times  the dom0  RAM   and still  buggy  am getting all these  flashing  windows bar and applications menu  hit and miss giving dom0 memory boost 800 MiB and minimal qubes memory 400 MiB or so ,  so gave up

btw,  is there any documentation on recommended RAM for  dom0  using XFCE

I'd like to put back the  Default memory settings  but  don't know what they are

What GPU does your system have? I'm running KDE comfortably in only 1.5GB dom0 memory, and my graphics are Intel HD integrated.

I don't recall the exact procedure to set dom0 memory. It begins with changing GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and then you run a command to update it.

so your 1.5GB of dom0 memory is NOT the dom0 "memory boost" in the Qubes Global Settings? which I'm assuming is akin to "maxmem" for other VMs ?

I also have intel integrated graphics,  maybe kabylake generation

at minimal qube memory 1564 and dom0 memory boost 5138 I am still finding it unusable the app menus don't appear , I keep fighting the taskbar widgets which then somehow I make appear on the desktop not the taskbar, then can't get them back on the taskbar, etc, which maybe a / the KDE learning curve ..... nice to see something less austere using Qubes, that I might be able to understand but

if it requires me to change something in Grub and not just the Global Settings ...maybe time to give up :)

--
A895 0C7C A244 8E2E FD77 A3DB 180B 7D4D D158 F8B6