Dear all,

Qubes OS has always provided the basic tools to accomplish encrypted storage devices, namely qvm-block [1] and cryptsetup [2].

However the combination is neither self-explanatory nor convenient for users who come from Operating Systems which provide "plug & play" for most devices. This facilitates user mistakes made either manually or with self-written software.

Thus I decided a while back to bring my self-written software to release grade and therefore present qcrypt and qcryptd at

https://github.com/3hhh/qcrypt

qcrypt can be used to create, open or close encrypted containers from dom0 in a way similar to cryptsetup [2] - just with added support for the Qubes OS VM infrastructure.

qcryptd attempts to bring back the "plug & play" feeling by providing a daemon that automatically opens or closes encrypted containers whenever VMs are started, stopped or external devices are attached or removed.

Both are command-line tools and heavily rely on the bash library blib [3]. qcryptd requires some configuration in the form of ini files [4].

Feel free to review the code, use it at your own disposal or provide feedback (questions, issues @github, ...). I hope it'll be useful not only for me alone. ;-)

My code signing key for reference: (1533 C122 5C1B 41AF C46B 33EB) EB03 A691 DB2F 0833

Best Regards
David

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/block-devices/
[2] https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/home