On 6/20/19 8:12 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
This could be an improvement over the scripts I use to mount backup volumes in dom0.

One hope that popped into my mind as soon as I saw this post is for some kind of automatic teardown to address this:

> but shutting down the mediator-vm during the attachment is likely to leave your Qubes OS in a dreary state and will probably require you to restart the system.

I've experienced this a number of times with my own setups. It would be nice to have the unmounting and closing handled automatically, perhaps with this:

https://dev.qubes-os.org/projects/core-admin/en/latest/qubes-events.html#qubes.events.handler

qcryptd is listening to the Qubes OS internal events and starting/stopping VMs & opening/closing chains accordingly. There is currently a 1s heartbeat to implement delays, but no polling. blib provides the underlying functionality [1].

From my experience with a chain such as
source --> mediator --> dest
shutting down the mediator may "confuse" Qubes OS/the internal qubesd state. You should receive a warning by qcryptd though (I didn't want to automatically shut down dest as the user might be working on unrelated parts of the file system).

Even shutting down dest and then attempting to properly close the remaining parts of the chain tends to trigger bug #4784 [2] and require the aforementioned system restart. Simply shutting down the mediator doesn't trigger the bug; that's why qcryptd does just that.

Overall qcrypt & qcryptd shouldn't trigger the bug anymore as long as the user doesn't do anything "wild".

[1] https://github.com/3hhh/blib/blob/master/util/qubes/qwatch
[2] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4784