On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 4:34:11 PM UTC, cubit wrote:
> I am not sure if this is related to recent updates but after updating today
> and doing a reboot, my sys-firewall and other appVMs are not getting DNS
> resolving working.
>

> - sys-net (fedora30) starts up with out an issue, can resolve and connect to
> the internet
>
> - sys-firewall starts up and gets an IP address,  it can ping sys-net and
> hosts on the internet by IP but can not by name.
>
> - appVMs are the same as sys-firewall
>

> on sys-firewall and appVMs I have two entries in /etc/resolv.conf 10.139.1.1
> and .2   I am not sure what these IPs are as they do not show up in qubes
> manager and I can not ping them.
>

> IPs all start at 10.139.0.5 which is sys-net
>

> The only way I can get to the internet is to use Tor or VPN which don't rely
> on the system DNS.
>

> Is anyone else experiencing this,  does anyone know what 1.1 and 1.2 hosts
> are or how I can get DNS up and running again?
>

> cubit

Well I don't have much of a solution to solving your DNS problem other than
checking if your DNS queries are resolving in your sys-net vm through the use
of nslookup command.

An alternative would be using DNSCrypt
https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/releases

Using this properly needs to have you change the contents of your
/etc/resolv.conf to the following:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
options edns0 single-request-reopen