Chris Laprise:
On 7/25/19 11:04 AM, brendan.h...@gmail.com wrote:
...there are very very early test-builds of Qubes R4.1 out there utilizing Xen 4.12 and Fedora 30. This 2019-07-01 build appears semi-stable in light testing. It is, at a high level (and Marek can correct me if I am wrong), the R4.01 codebase with up-to-date Xen and dom0 Fedora w/ any Qubes-related changes to ensure these work with the Qubes code base.

I was able to install that particular test build on a Thinkpad X230 for testing: https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/3021

(note: click on assets tab for link to download the ISO)

It might be worth installing one of those as well on another drive to see if newer Xen/Fedora combinations resolve sleep issues or get you closer to resolution.

Interesting link!

I was just thinking this could be an "old Fedora" problem. But that also suggests there may be a way to patch the current dom0 to handle suspend correctly. Of course, domU is a factor if sys-net or sys-usb are running.

... But it works on Fedora 29 with 4.18, and not Qubes R4.0.1 with 4.19.

Is a Fedora 29 kernel 4.18 different than a Fedora 25 kernel 4.18? i.e. different branches/backports or something? Or could something besides the kernel be causing the difference in behavior?

Trying Fedora 25 with 4.8.6, just for good measure... This is interesting. At resume, the fan comes on but the screen doesn't power on (just as in Qubes), but this time, unlike in Qubes, pressing caps lock *does* turn on the light. Alt-SysRq-B doesn't do anything (it might be disabled), but incidentally, when I pressed Print Screen I heard a camera shutter sound effect, and Ctrl-Alt-Del powered it off after 60 seconds. So, the OS is responsive after resume (unlike Qubes), just the screen is still powered off.

Also, instead of powering off the screen due to inactivity, it just turns it black instead, much like Qubes.

So it's almost starting to sound like it was a graphics driver issue or something that was fixed sometime between Fedora 25 and Fedora 29, but somehow still hasn't made it to Qubes. Still way too early to say, though.

Claudia:

Have you tried suspend/resume with no VMs running at all? This can be accomplished by manually shutting down appVMs then service VMs, or with the command 'qvm-shutdown --all --force --wait'.

Pretty sure I did, but re-tested to be certain. With all VMs stopped, resuming makes the fan come on, but the screen doesn't power on, and pressing the caps-lock key doesn't turn its light on. I have to long-press the power button and restart.

I could have sworn when I tested this before, resume wouldn't make the fan come on or anything at all. Although, it would be easy to mistake one for the other, because the fan isn't the most reliable output channel. From the time I tested Ubuntu onward, I started using `sha256sum /dev/urandom` to intentionally get the fan running before suspend. So it makes sense, in prior testing the fan probably just wasn't running loud enough to hear.

So, if that's the case, that means I'm getting the same result in normal Qubes as in Qubes with VT-x & VT-d disabled. This is good news, as means it's probably not some firmware-related virtualization problem, right?

Just to humor myself, I was going to try testing if I could hear sound from Qubes after resume, but it seems audio isn't working at all. Which is a whole 'nother problem. Aplay says "... unable to open slave; audio open error: no such file or directory." `echo -e '\a'` doesn't work even on a TTY (lsmod shows pcspkr), and `beep` isn't installed.

If this works, then the problem may be in the VMs such as sys-net or sys-usb. This is possible because those VMs control hardware that must also respond to special commands related to sleep/wake.

Makes sense, but unfortunately (or fortunately) I couldn't even get it to resume properly under Qubes even with VT-x & VT-d disabled.

If it doesn't work, then the problem is probably entirely in dom0 and Fedora 25. Assuming you already have the testing 4.19 kernel, have you

Well, that's good news. At least, I'd rather the problem be in dom0 kernel than in firmware! It also means it's probably not device-related, if I'm following correctly. But, there's still a chance it could be Xen, too, right?

I don't suppose it's possible to upgrade Qubes to Fedora 29, or so?

thought of upgrading it to the even newer 5.x one as 'latest'? The latest kernel is installed by specifying the special package named 'kernel-latest'.

Installed 5.1.15-1. Hangs between Xen and dom0 kernel (blank screen with no underscore) about 50% of the time. Same result. Fan comes back on, but no caps lock light. Tried again with all VMs stopped. Same result.

So all this kind of makes me think
1) there are special kernel patches or something in Fedora and Ubuntu that aren't in Qubes, or
2) the issue is caused by something other than the kernel entirely, or
3) it's Xen

I still have to try the R4.1 test build.