‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, September 13, 2019 5:16 PM, b17b7bdb <> wrote:

> On 9/13/19 9:31 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:> 'b17b7bdb' via
> qubes-users:
>>> Setting tb_security_slider_safest=true (either by selecting Yes in the Tor
>>> Browser Starter screen or by creating a line in
>>> /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf) does not result in the expected behavior.
>>
>>> Actual Behavior:
>>> - Shield icon is fully colored
>>> - Security Level is set to Safest in about:preferences#privacy
>>> - JavaScript is ALLOWED on selected sites.
>>> To view these sites click on the NoScript Preferences button in the
>>> about:addons page and then select the Per-Site Permissions tab.
>>>
>> When I do this in a fresh DispVM with the above setting, I see no sites
>> listed on the Per-Site Permissons tab. Are you using a disposable VM?
>>

> That's correct.  I observed the same behavior in the Whonix DispVMs on two
> different machines, one of which is a fresh (and updated) install of R4.0.1.
> Notably, if I manually set the security level to safer in
> about:preferences#privacy then the per-site permissions disappear.
>
> These permissions are clearly the default permissions included with no-script
> add-on.  For example, a variety of google, microsoft, yahoo, paypal, and
> netflix sites are default trusted, among others.

> We might be miscommunicating. I'm saying when I set
> /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf with tb_security_slider_safest=true and
> start a new DispVM (on current-testing), I see zero sites listed. Did
> you add the setting in whonix-ws-15 template? I tried it in the DVM
> template first, but it didn't stick. I do see what you mean with about
> 30 sites listed when I start a DispVM (on a different client on current)
> without that setting. Is your Tor Browser 8.5? Odd that you're
> experiencing different behavior. Might want to mention on qubes-whonix
> forum too.

Yes, I created /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf in the whonix-ws-15 template and
added the line tb_security_slider_safest=true, which persisted across all
DispVMs.  Everything worked as expected, no TB starter window and js was
disabled for all sites, except for the per-site permissions listed as trusted
by no-script.  I observed the same behavior after commenting out the line and
choosing yes in the starter window.  Both machines have TB 8.5.5 installed.  It
is indeed surprising that we're observing different behaviors.

(Btw, my apologies if this creates another new thread.  Not sure how to get
around this since I'm not able to respond directly in protonmail.)