On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 02:04:53PM +0200, haaber wrote:
> today I had a look in logs of my router, and discovered that it logs my
> qubes machine as "sys-net". I did not change anything in my
> "out-of-the-box" sys-net, so I presume that the observed behaviour is
> common to all standard qubes installs.
> Q: is it a wanted feature that all wireless networks immediately know
> that I use qubes? I think that this is a bad idea, and that some "dummy
> name" suggesting a standard linux system would be a better choice. That
> keeps an epsilon more anonymity and reduces attack surface about
> epsilon^2 (since target system unclear). Some comments? Hints how to
> change that?
>
> Cheers, Bernhard

It's a long standing bug in NetworkManager.
You *should* be able to disable this globally - you cant.
What you can do is set "ipv4.dhcp-send-hostname no" for EACH connection.
You would, of course, have to do this before connecting for the first
time to avoid leaving trace.

Some Alternatives :
Dont use NM - its' horrible anyway.
Dont use Qubes default names for system qubes - good practice in any
case.
Use a throwaway random name (like Windows-PC-2456) for whatever you use
for sys-net. You can set up a simple script to do this each time you
start your Qubes box,providing you have disabled relevant autostarts. I
think this is best practice.