'Jackie' via qubes-users:
Sven Semmler:
In addition to my fairly standard dvm based on whonix-ws connected to sys-whonix based on whonix-ws I have now done the following:

1) cloned sys-whonix to sys-whonix-id
2) created app-signal based on whonix-ws
3) installed signal in whonix-ws
4) connected both app-email-private and app-signal to sys-whonix-id

The idea being:

1) sys-whonix and the instances of whonix-ws connected to it are for truly anonymous browsing. I have never nor will I ever type in anything even remotely identifying into those qubes.

2) sys-whonix-id is used more like a VPN in that the endpoint of the connection (my email provider or my phone in case of signal) knows very well who I am ... not anonymous at all. However no one in between my PC and those end points should be able to tell.

Here is my assumption I would like to check against the members of this group: while both instances (since cloned) will use the same entry guards, the resulting TOR circuits will be different and there is no way the traffic on the one connection can be correlated to the other - right?

/Sven

Hi,

I'm certainly no expert, but i'm not sure having two sys-whonix vms is necessary here. Whonix vms have stream isolation so different whonix appvms, or even different applications within the same vm, will use different tor circuits.

Of course it's possible that just coincidentally two applications in the same or different vms could happen to use the same exit node for a period of time, but that would also be possible if they use separate sys-whonix proxy vms.

But i might be missing something here, so somebody please correct me if so.

One way to find out for sure. Open /etc/torrc (or ~/.config/tor/torrc, or other torrc location), and look for stream isolation flags. Make sure you understand exactly what each one means.

 IsolateClientAddr

Don’t share circuits with streams from a different client address. (On by default and strongly recommended when supported; you can disable it with NoIsolateClientAddr. Unsupported and force-disabled when using Unix domain sockets.)

IsolateSOCKSAuth

Don’t share circuits with streams for which different SOCKS authentication was provided. (For HTTPTunnelPort connections, this option looks at the Proxy-Authorization and X-Tor-Stream-Isolation headers. On by default; you can disable it with NoIsolateSOCKSAuth.)

IsolateClientProtocol

Don’t share circuits with streams using a different protocol. (SOCKS 4, SOCKS 5, TransPort connections, NATDPort connections, and DNSPort requests are all considered to be different protocols.)

IsolateDestPort

Don’t share circuits with streams targeting a different destination port.

IsolateDestAddr

Don’t share circuits with streams targeting a different destination address.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en

Since IsolateClientAddr is on by default, and since every whonix-ws has a different address, one can assume that circuits will never be shared between different VMs. So a single gateway should sufficiently isolate traffic from different VMs.

Important note: Applications accessing the same Tor instance, via any SOCKS address/port, can discover information about the remote destinations of other applications on the same Tor instance.

So the reason to use two separate Tor instances (whonix-gw VMs) is only if you're worried about untrusted or exploitable applications which could discover where other applications (even on different workstation VMs connected to the same gateway) are visiting. But it has nothing to do with external traffic analysis or stream isolation or anything like that.

This is the same reason it's not recommended to expose your Tor SOCKS port to the local network or anywhere else. Anyone who can access it can find out what sites you're visiting.

For example, if you have two whonix-ws VMs using the same whonix-gw, a browser in VM1 could be exploited and discover what sites you are visiting in VM2.

So, in theory, you are right for using two different whonix-gw VMs, one for anonymous work and one for non-anonymous work. However, I would imagine that the Qubes and Whonix developers know about this and have done everything right. I just don't know enough about Qubes/Whonix in particular.

As far as entry guards... Yes, I believe the cloned VM will use the same guards, at least initially. However I don't think guard selection is deterministic, so after a while (usually a month) the two VMs will select a new, different set of guards.

Generally you want to use as few guards as possible, so you want to use the same ones in as many places as possible. To be precise, you want to always use the same guard to connect to a given location (to the best extent that is practical, anyway).

So if whonix-gw1 and whonix-gw2 are both connecting to google.com using different guards, the likelihood of being deanonymized by a confirmation attack is doubled (as compared to if they were using the same guards).

However, using two whonix-gw instances with different guards is really no different than installing Tor on two different machines in the same network (e.g. laptop and tablet), which is generally safe. It's up to you to weigh the risks.