Dane Goodwin:
Hey all

It's new laptop time. i got a lenovo legion y540 with the nvidia RTX
graphics card, and got qubes installed on it. Everything works great except
HDMI output. I want to fill in an HCL submission, but want to try get this
sorted before doing so.

The problem I'm having is the neither the HDMI or mini display port work.
The XFCE display manager app has the tickbox: "Configure new displays when
connected" which causes a dialog to show when you plug in a new display to
let you set it up how you like. With that option selected, when I plug in
an HDMI cable, the dialog pops up, and the monitor goes black showing that
it's expecting a signal, but XFCE doesn't detect the second display, and
nothing shows on the screen.

I'm probably far off with this, so I welcome corrections, but what I
_think_ is happening is the display ports are wired through the nivida
graphics card, so both the laptop and monitor detect when a cable is
connected, but the display doesn't work because I haven't installed the
nvidia graphics drivers.

Before trying to install the drivers, I wanted to ask the group. Have any
of you experienced something similar to this? Is there a way to fix it
without installing the nvidia drivers?

Just guessing here...

Have you tried a different window manager such as KDE or i3?

Did you check for relevant settings in BIOS?

Does it work correctly under vanilla Fedora 25, Fedora 30, or any other OS? (You can try it in a live CD)