'awokd' via qubes-users:
And to follow on, is there a way to tell if I have 4.0 or 4.0.1 or
4.02rc2?

If it's like previous releases, if you have Qubes 4 patched to the
"current" (default) repository, you are running the latest point release
(4.0.1). If you have it patched to "current-testing", you're running the
current rc.

This got me thinking... If I install 4.0.1 from ISO, it of course enables the "current" (default) repo. However, if I install from an rc ISO, does that enable "current-testing" repo?

My feeling is that it must, because otherwise you'd be installing "current-testing" packages from ISO, but then updating from the "current" repo. Installed packages would be newer than updates.

If that's the case, then installing from an rc is actually different than installing from stable, because the former results in a system using "current-testing" instead of "current". But then this is contrary to saying that an rc declared stable is identical to the resulting stable release.

So, say I install rc2, and in five weeks it is declared stable. If I want to use a stable system, do I have to manually switch the repo over to "current"?