Claudia:
[...]
So, to recap what I've found so far:
Fedora 25 live cd: works
Qubes without Xen: works
Qubes with Xen: codec probe error
Qubes with Xen, VT-x & VT-d disabled: codec probe error
Qubes with Xen, single_cmd=1: codec detected, but no sound

[...]

Just following up. Audio works flawlessly out of the box in R4.1-20181013 with kernel 4.19.76-1. Didn't work in R4.0.2 with 4.19 or even 5.0 kernels even after days of tinkering with it. So it could be due to the Xen version (4.8 -> 4.12), Fedora userland version (25 -> 29), or changes to qubes-specific code/config (4.0 -> 4.1). I was hoping to get it working in stable, but I'll probably just keep using 4.1 for now.