December 24, 2019 9:43 AM, "Ondřej Šulák" <ond...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello pals,
>
> for the last release of Qubes, what laptop would you recommend? Is there any
> cheaper option which
> does have HW compatibility with latest Qubes (ideally with shipping from EU),
> than this one:
>
> https://insurgo.ca/produit/qubesos-certified-privacybeast_x230-reasonably-secured-laptop
>  ?
> Thanks for any tips!

There are two tested, but not certified, models: Thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 5, and
Thinkpad x230. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hardware-testing/

In general Thinkpads are usually pretty safe. Personally I would try to avoid
AMD systems, as well as consumer models. Look for business class or mid-range
hardware where possible, as they tend to have more solid firmware. Look for
Intel 4th gen (I think) and newer, as prior generations did not have integrated
chipsets. Avoid buying the latest models. Qubes is based on older versions of
Fedora and LTS kernels, so look for hardware that has been on the market for at
least a little while. Look for models that advertise Linux compatibility or
ship with Ubuntu preinstalled, and prefer vendors that tend to have good Linux
support, such as Lenovo, Dell, and HP.

Other than that, check the HCL, and google around and see what other users have
reported. Also search the mailing list for HCL reports, as it takes a long time
for them to show up on the website.

Above all, make sure you can return it for a refund in case it doesn't run
Qubes!

Now, all that being said, I recently took a chance on a very cheap
consumer-grade Dell Inspiron with AMD, and I have to say I had pretty good
luck, all things considered. USB Qube is not supported, and I still haven't
gotten suspend/resume to work, but everything else works, and it was a steal
for the price.

So even going against all recommendations you can still get lucky, it just
depends how much risk you're comfortable with and how much trial-and-error you
have time for. However, even following all the best practices won't guarantee
success on the first try: case in point there are Thinkpads on the HCL with
more problems than my cheap Inspiron.

Good luck!