Aaron Janse:
> On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 5:31:50 AM UTC-8, awokd wrote:
>
>> What happens if you use an options line like the following?
>>
>> options=console=vga loglvl=all efi=no-rs
>>

> ```
> (XEN) Platform timer is 23.999MHz HPET
> (XEN) [...]
> (XEN) CPU0: No irq handler for vector 40 (IRC -2147483648, LAPIC)
> (XEN) PCI: MCFG configuration 0: base e0000000 segment 0000 buses 00 - ff
> (XEN) PCI: Not using MCFG for segment 0000 bus 00-ff
> (XEN) [...]
> (XEN) Interrupt remapping enabled
> (XEN) nr_sockets: 2
> (XEN) Enabled directed EOI with ioapic_ack_old on!
> (XEN) ENABLING IO_APIC IRQs
> (XEN)  -> Using old ACK method
> (XEN) ..TIMER: vector=0xF0 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
> (XEN) ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
> (XEN) ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through 8259A ,,,
> (XEN) ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
> (XEN) ...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ...spurious 8259A interrupt:
> IRQ7.
> (XEN) CPU0: no irq handler for vector e7 (IRQ -8)
> (XEN) IRQ7 a=0001[0001,0000] v=60[ffffffff] t=IO-APIC-edge s=00000002
> (XEN)  failed :(.
> (XEN)
> (XEN) ***************************************
> (XEN) Panic on CPU 0:
> (XEN) IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with apic_verbosity=debug and send
> a report.  Then try booting with the 'noapic' option
> (XEN) ***************************************
> (XEN)
> (XEN) Reboot in five seconds...
> ```
>
> I've been transcribing these logs by hand, otherwise I'd include more.
>
> I also suspect that maybe these issues could be solved by using a newer
> kernel for the installer?
>
> My understanding is that R4.1 will soon feature a 5.4.x kernel [1]. Are
> there more things to try in the meantime?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5539#issuecomment-568863280

See if you can turn off the HPET timer in your UEFI config, and include
that "apic_verbosity=debug" option. That might make more combinations
available to Xen and provide more detail. The messages are coming from
Xen before it even loads the Linux kernel, but yes- a newer version of
Xen such as in R4.1 might also help. If you have a serial port
available, you can set Xen to log to it, but that is often a hassle with
newer machines.

--
- don't top post