On 12/23/19 5:23 PM, Defiant wrote:

On 22. 12. 19 15:45, Claudia wrote:

I just wanted to drop a note here before I forget. Out of the box, Qubes blanks
the screen after a few minutes, but never powers off the screen, even though
it's configured to do so in the XFCE Power Manager. I've had this problem on
several machines, all the way back to R3.2, and I always blamed it on lack of
hardware support.

Turns out, it's because Qubes comes with Xscreensaver enabled which overrides the XFCE Power Manager settings. Xscreensaver is
only configured to blank the screen; I'm not sure if it even supports powering it off. To return control to XFCE, go to Menu >
System Tools > Session and Startup > Application Autostart, and uncheck "Screensaver". Then you can logout,
reboot, or go to Menu > System Tools > Screensaver > File > Kill Daemon. You may have to also open Menu > System
Tools > Power Manager > Display, and switch "Display power management" to off and then on again.

Note this will disable the lockscreen. This is not recommended if you use a USB
keyboard or mouse and a USB Qube, or if someone has physical access to your
computer while it's on. Otherwise, I recommend enabling screen poweroff in
order to conserve energy and lengthen the lifespan of your screen's backlight.

I have also noticed this annoyance on several machines and different
linux distributions so it must be an Xfce problem, not a Qubes problem.

That is probably the case since this was one of the problems that got solved when I switched to KDE.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket