On 1/5/20 12:09 PM, gorked wrote:
I thought Fedora was the free publicly available version of the test bed for Red Hat Linux?  That is Fedora being the version that will become Red Hat?

The way I remember Marek explaining it (and correct me if I'm wrong, Marek) is that choosing Fedora was mostly chance bc that's what he was used to at the time.

You are right that Fedora is a test bed for Red Hat, and it has some pretty serious downsides as a result. Foremost is that TPTB don't allow Fedora to cryptographically sign their top level repository manifests. This means that any MITM attacker can pick which packages don't receive updates, even though the overall update proceeds in an apparently normal manner.

Virtually all other distros that are half-way popular sign their repo metadata so that any MITM attempts can be prevented.

More downsides are that less quality testing occurs, packages of all types (and sizes) get 'dumped' into the update stream much more frequently, and the more flagrant mistakes with Red Hat's in-house tech like Systemd land right in users' laps (I've found that Debian's Systemd releases are less bug-ridden than Fedora's).

I though CentOS and Oracle Linux were free publicly available versions of the current stable versions of Red Hat?

Those are two distros came much later on, and they weren't under control of Red Hat (although RH did take over CentOS a few years back).

And that basically Red Hat is from only free software sources? Excepting some folks might add non-free Firmware drivers if they chose?

Seems like the stable version of Red Hat, renamed something else to make the Linux OS available for free, would be more secure.

The problem with both RHEL and CentOS is that they're the opposite of Fedora: Very staid, and non-security updates come slowly. That's a problem for Qubes since it spent 5+ years charting new territory in the hardware features + Linux/Xen compatibility matrix.

I actually think a better overall distro for Qubes is Debian, which is available as a Qubes template (but not for dom0). The reason is that its 'serious' and well tested/supported, but also has layers that allow you to install and try newer more experimental versions of software. Due to it popularity, Debian also has more software to choose from in its repositories. (An example of this in action: https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e050ed1e-181a-45b4-89be-b8250c1924fc%40googlegroups.com ).

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket