January 8, 2020 12:10 AM, "Guerlan" <worms....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:41:31 PM UTC-3, Claudia wrote:
>
>> January 7, 2020 6:08 PM, "Guerlan" <worm...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Monday,
>> January 6, 2020 at

>> UTC-5,
>> It'd

>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/TmGDlkluJgM/1BFsQZWNDAAJ;context-place=forum/qubes

>>> [lz@dom0 ~]$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
>>> s2idle [deep]
>>>
>>> What does this mean? It means that it detected only s2idle or that my
>>> system does not support
>>> suspend to RAM? I've used Ubuntu and Fedora and lid closing always worked,
>>> I just don't know if
>> it
>>> was idle or to ram or other thing.
>>
>> This means that s2idle mode and deep mode are the two modes supported by
>> your machine, and that
>> deep is the mode that will be used for sleep when no specific mode is
>> specified, such as using the
>> lid switch or the logout menu or systemctl suspend for example. In OP's
>> case, deep is manually set
>> as default using the kernel parameter mem_sleep_default=deep. Generally the
>> kernel chooses the
>> deepest mode supported (s2idle -> shallow -> deep) to be the default, but on
>> some machines the
>> kernel will choose s2idle as the default even if deep is supported.
>>
>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.18/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html#basic-sysfs-interfaces-for-sy
>> tem-suspend-and-hibernation
>
> Thanks! I now understand how it works. I've checked and indeed my system
> defaults to deep. I tried
> s2idle by doing echo freeze > /sys/power/state and the screen turns off but
> they keyboard keeps
> with lights on. Pressing buttons does nothing. Pressing touchpad, nothing.
> Pressing power rapidly,
> nothing. Had to reboot by long pressing power. Shouldn't s2idle always work
> since it's software
> based?

I don't know much about s2idle, but yes, in theory it should be the most
reliable of the sleep states. It could be a graphics driver issue. However,
from your log it looks like it's still entering deep sleep.

> I have no other ideas. If someone know a little more on how to debug, I'd be
> glad. Remember that I
> found this error in ACPI https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5555
> on dmesg. It indicates
> that ASPM does not work. Maybe this is crucial?

Debugging suspend is a long and complicated process. I don't want to get any
more off-topic in this thread. Please start a new thread for your machine
detailing everything you've tried so far, including logs and any other relevant
information, so it's all in one place.